- Home
- District Information
- District History
- 75th Anniversary
District Information
Page Navigation
-
District Information
- BoardDocs
- District APPR Information
-
District History
-
75th Anniversary
-
Anniversary Posts 1-15
- 1: Monroe Academy: Henrietta’s First Famous School
- 2: First Schools: Uphill, Barefoot, Both Ways
- 3: 1938: Voters Reject Creation of Rush-Henrietta Central School District
- 4: Schoolhouse Records Give Glimpse of Life 100 Years Ago
- 5: 1946: Given Second Chance, Voters Embrace New District
- 6: A Different Time: When Rush Had More Kids Than Henrietta
- 7: Choosing a Mascot: Why We're Not the Royal Falcons
- 8: Meet the Board: Rush-Henrietta’s Original Fab Five
- 9: Late 1940s: The Beginning of a Population Explosion
- 10: Breaking Ground: Rush-Henrietta’s First New School
- 11: 1952: R-H’s First New School a ‘Splendid Dream’
- 12: First Meeting of the New Board of Education
- 13: 1959 R-H Grad Still Gets on the Bus Every Day
- 14: Humble Beginnings: Two School Buses to Start
- 15: 1954: Sudden Need for a Second New School
-
Anniversary Posts 16-30
- 16: 1954-1955: Two Votes for a Second School
- 17: The Story of Gillette Elementary School
- 18: 1950s: Building a New School Each Year
- 19: 1957: Residents Press Pause, Reject Two New Schools
- 20: 1958: Fourth New School Helps District Keep Pace
- 21: 1950s: Curious Visitors Flock to New R-H School
- 22: Bill Farrell: ‘Architect of the R-H Sports Program’
- 23: 1961: Rush-Henrietta Gets a Junior High School
- 24: 1963: A New School Called Wedgewood
- 25: Elmer Gordon: A Rush-Henrietta Trailblazer
- 26: Remembering Jack Gaffney
- 27: Jack Gaffney's Incredible Connections to Our R-H Past
- 28: Remembering Wilma Jean Milhouse
- 29: 1964: West Henrietta Gets Its First New School
- 30: 1965: Fyle Elementary Named to Honor Respected Teacher
-
Anniversary Posts 31-45
- 31: R-H Family History Revealed in Historic Records
- 32: Dr. John W. Parker: Devoted to District’s Early Success
- 33: 1966: Amidst Housing Boom, R-H Opens Sherman Elementary
- 34: 1968: Rush-Henrietta Opens Its First High School
- 35: Richard TenHaken: Superintendent Who Looked Controversy in the Eye
- 36: 1970: Vollmer Becomes R-H’s Last New School
- 37: The Dome Arena: R-H and Other Legends
- 38: The Lion in the Room - Senior High School Pride
- 39: Artists in Residence
- 40: Providing an Even Start
- 41: Paul McKee: Humility Meets Great Success
- 42: Raymond Delaney Had ‘Unshakeable Belief’ in Public Education
- 43: Roger Eckers Strikes Up the Band
- 44: 1982: R-H Denies West Brighton Request to Secede
- 45: George DesMarteau: One - Make That Two - of a Kind
-
Anniversary Posts 46-60
- 46: Recognizing 75 Years of Music Excellence
- 47: Senior High School Mural Depicts 'Community of School'
- 48: 2006: Rush-Henrietta Alumni Council Established
- 49: A Bird's-Eye View of 1951
- 50: 1945: Preparing for the First Day of School
- 51: R-H is Where ‘The Rock’ Calls Home
- 52: 1974: Rush-Henrietta Takes to the Airwaves
- 53: Glory Years of WRHR: A Student’s Perspective
- 54: 1969: R-H a Trailblazer in Embracing Student Voice
- 55: 1975: Rush-Henrietta’s High School Reaches Capacity
- 56: 1975 to 1986: A Decade of Dual High Schools
- 57: 1987: New High School Name Helps Community Heal
- 58: How We Became the Royal Comets
- 59: Extracurricular Highlights
- 60: Spotlight on Bob Sagan, Act I
- 61: Spotlight on Bob Sagan, Act II
- 62: 1991: R-H Hires First New Superintendent in 20 Years
- 63: Werner Kleemann: More Than a Sports Legend
- 64: 2000: R-H Loses ‘Wonderful Mentor’
- 65: 2000: R-H Legend Returns to Stabilize High School
- 66: A Surprise Boost for Student Athletes and Musicians
- 67: Adventures of Ping: Restoring a One-of-a-Kind Painting
- 68: Dr. Ken Graham: Two Decades of Strong Leadership
- 69: R-H’s History of Putting Safety First
- 70: Girls Basketball Team Becomes Stuff of Legends
-
Anniversary Posts 1-15
- Did You Know?
- Distinguished Alumni
- First Administrators
- Norm Miller: Portrait of a Rush-Henrietta Life Well Lived
- School Namesakes
- Superintendents
- Who Was Elmer Gordon?
-
75th Anniversary
- District Map
- District Mission, Vision, and Values
- District Overview
- District Policies
- District Priorities
- District Progress Update
- Job Opportunities
- Program and Service Reviews
- Staff Directory
- Street/School Directory
- Title I
- Town Resources
- COVID-19 Reopening Summary
1950s: Building a New School Each Year
-
Families were flocking to Henrietta, in part to enroll their children in the Rush-Henrietta Central School District. The district had 1,800 students in 1956, but enrollment was projected to surpass 3,000 by 1960. The population increased so much, and so fast, that the district was forced to build a second school in 1955. Incredibly, Gillette Elementary was full the first day it opened.
By that time, district leaders had already made the case for needing a third school. On March 15, 1956, voters were asked to approve the acquisition of 15 acres of land on East Henrietta Road in Rush. The proposal to purchase George Kuhl’s property was approved 382 to 17.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the district presented new plans at a breathtaking pace. It is hard to fathom the speed at which the district scouted land, sought and received voter approval, designed new schools, and had them constructed. The time and effort spent by district officials and community members during these early years remains mind-bogglingly impressive.
Having received permission to buy the land on East Henrietta Road, Rush-Henrietta began planning for the construction of a 22-room school designed for 600 students. The proposal to build the $1.1 million school was put up for voter approval April 24, 1957, just a month after the land vote. When residents went to the polls to approve the creation of the new building, they did so with the knowledge that a fourth new school would be needed the following year.
The new school in Rush was named for Monica B. Leary. Born in Seneca Falls, N.Y., February 11, 1883, she graduated from St. Mary’s Nursing School in 1909. Three years later, she married Dr. James Leary. She succeeded her husband as a school board member in Rush, serving to better local education in the 1930s and 1940s before the district was centralized.
Considered by many to be one of Rush’s most respected citizens, Monica Leary died in 1953 but her legacy lives on today at Leary Elementary School.
[Post 18] #75Posts75Years
Click the "i" in the upper left corner of the photo below for more information.
© Copyright 2022. All rights reserved.