It is important to remember the educational trailblazers who came before us, creating a solid foundation for past, present, and future students. The people highlighted below have Rush-Henrietta schools named in their honor.
Crane Elementary School: David B. Crane was the first principal of Monroe Academy, which opened in Henrietta in 1826. According to the March 14, 1974, issue of The Henrietta Post, "Mr. Crane was asked to take four shares in the school and he also contributed a substantial sum toward the purchase of the bell." For a time, people referred to the school as Wedgewood Elementary School.
Fyle Elementary School: Ethel K. Fyle, a Rush native, was as an outstanding educator. A member of the school faculty when the newly centralized Rush-Henrietta school district opened its doors in 1946, she taught grades 6-7 for seven years before retiring in 1954. Previously Fyle taught 23 years at West Henrietta School.
Leary Elementary School: Monica B. Leary was born in Seneca Falls on February 11, 1883. A graduate of St. Mary’s Nursing School in 1909, she married Dr. James Leary in 1912. She succeeded her husband as a school board member in Rush, serving in the 1930s and 1940s. Considered one of Rush’s most respected citizens, Monica Leary died in 1953.
Sherman Elementary School: Emma E. Sherman dedicated her life to teaching in the West Henrietta School District. A native of Henrietta, her love for children endeared her to many. Sherman was born November 1, 1863, and died in 1935; she is buried in Maplewood Cemetery on Middle Road in Henrietta.
Winslow Elementary School: Dr. Floyd S. Winslow, former teacher and headmaster of Monroe Academy, lived on East Henrietta Road. A graduate of Cornell University, he was a World War I U.S. Army medic, became a physician, and served as county coroner. Construction of the school began in 1958, the same year Dr. Winslow died. Sally Wood Winslow, his granddaughter, was a student when the school was dedicated. Winslow celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2018.
Vollmer Elementary School: On April 12, 1970, Rush-Henrietta dedicated Mary K. Vollmer Elementary School. “Mary K. Vollmer was a very special teacher,” the program said. “In tribute to her many years of devoted service to children and the teaching profession, we now proudly dedicate this new school in the Rush-Henrietta district.”
Burger Junior High School: Henry V. Burger was born in Mendon in 1870, but lived most of his 83 years in Henrietta. He worked tirelessly to establish a local high school. Burger was a member of the Board of Education for 25 years, serving as clerk during most of that time. The school's cornerstone was placed in 1963.
Roth Junior High School: Charles H. Roth is remembered for his outstanding contributions to the community as a member of the original board of education. He helped oversee creation of the Rush-Henrietta Central School, which opened in 1952; it later was known as Roth High School and now Roth Junior High School. Roth was on the school board from 1946 to 1960, serving as president for 10 years of those years.
Carlton O. Webster Building: Known between 2000 and 2017 as the Ninth Grade Academy, this former junior high school was named for Carlton O. Webster, a respected English and drama teacher in the district. The building now houses the Webster Learning Center.
Senior High School: Originally the James E. Sperry High School, this building is named for surveyor James Sperry, who provided leadership in fostering local education. He lived in Henrietta from 1811 to 1861. In 1825, Sperry was part of a group that considered building an educational academy, which became Monroe Academy the following year. The high school opened in 1969.
Note: Rush-Henrietta has closed and sold several former schools, including Crittenden Elementary School (on West Henrietta Road in Brighton), named in honor of Austin Crittenden, an early settler, and William Gillette Elementary School, named in honor of the first president of the Rush-Henrietta Board of Education. Gillette Elementary is now known as Holy Childhood.