- Home
- District Information
- District History
- 75th Anniversary
District Information
Page Navigation
-
District Information
- BoardDocs
- District APPR Information
-
District History
-
75th Anniversary
-
Anniversary Posts 1-15
- 1: Monroe Academy: Henrietta’s First Famous School
- 2: First Schools: Uphill, Barefoot, Both Ways
- 3: 1938: Voters Reject Creation of Rush-Henrietta Central School District
- 4: Schoolhouse Records Give Glimpse of Life 100 Years Ago
- 5: 1946: Given Second Chance, Voters Embrace New District
- 6: A Different Time: When Rush Had More Kids Than Henrietta
- 7: Choosing a Mascot: Why We're Not the Royal Falcons
- 8: Meet the Board: Rush-Henrietta’s Original Fab Five
- 9: Late 1940s: The Beginning of a Population Explosion
- 10: Breaking Ground: Rush-Henrietta’s First New School
- 11: 1952: R-H’s First New School a ‘Splendid Dream’
- 12: First Meeting of the New Board of Education
- 13: 1959 R-H Grad Still Gets on the Bus Every Day
- 14: Humble Beginnings: Two School Buses to Start
- 15: 1954: Sudden Need for a Second New School
-
Anniversary Posts 16-30
- 16: 1954-1955: Two Votes for a Second School
- 17: The Story of Gillette Elementary School
- 18: 1950s: Building a New School Each Year
- 19: 1957: Residents Press Pause, Reject Two New Schools
- 20: 1958: Fourth New School Helps District Keep Pace
- 21: 1950s: Curious Visitors Flock to New R-H School
- 22: Bill Farrell: ‘Architect of the R-H Sports Program’
- 23: 1961: Rush-Henrietta Gets a Junior High School
- 24: 1963: A New School Called Wedgewood
- 25: Elmer Gordon: A Rush-Henrietta Trailblazer
- 26: Remembering Jack Gaffney
- 27: Jack Gaffney's Incredible Connections to Our R-H Past
- 28: Remembering Wilma Jean Milhouse
- 29: 1964: West Henrietta Gets Its First New School
- 30: 1965: Fyle Elementary Named to Honor Respected Teacher
-
Anniversary Posts 31-45
- 31: R-H Family History Revealed in Historic Records
- 32: Dr. John W. Parker: Devoted to District’s Early Success
- 33: 1966: Amidst Housing Boom, R-H Opens Sherman Elementary
- 34: 1968: Rush-Henrietta Opens Its First High School
- 35: Richard TenHaken: Superintendent Who Looked Controversy in the Eye
- 36: 1970: Vollmer Becomes R-H’s Last New School
- 37: The Dome Arena: R-H and Other Legends
- 38: The Lion in the Room - Senior High School Pride
- 39: Artists in Residence
- 40: Providing an Even Start
- 41: Paul McKee: Humility Meets Great Success
- 42: Raymond Delaney Had ‘Unshakeable Belief’ in Public Education
- 43: Roger Eckers Strikes Up the Band
- 44: 1982: R-H Denies West Brighton Request to Secede
- 45: George DesMarteau: One - Make That Two - of a Kind
-
Anniversary Posts 46-60
- 46: Recognizing 75 Years of Music Excellence
- 47: Senior High School Mural Depicts 'Community of School'
- 48: 2006: Rush-Henrietta Alumni Council Established
- 49: A Bird's-Eye View of 1951
- 50: 1945: Preparing for the First Day of School
- 51: R-H is Where ‘The Rock’ Calls Home
- 52: 1974: Rush-Henrietta Takes to the Airwaves
- 53: Glory Years of WRHR: A Student’s Perspective
- 54: 1969: R-H a Trailblazer in Embracing Student Voice
- 55: 1975: Rush-Henrietta’s High School Reaches Capacity
- 56: 1975 to 1986: A Decade of Dual High Schools
- 57: 1987: New High School Name Helps Community Heal
- 58: How We Became the Royal Comets
- 59: Extracurricular Highlights
- 60: Spotlight on Bob Sagan, Act I
- 61: Spotlight on Bob Sagan, Act II
- 62: 1991: R-H Hires First New Superintendent in 20 Years
- 63: Werner Kleemann: More Than a Sports Legend
- 64: 2000: R-H Loses ‘Wonderful Mentor’
- 65: 2000: R-H Legend Returns to Stabilize High School
- 66: A Surprise Boost for Student Athletes and Musicians
- 67: Adventures of Ping: Restoring a One-of-a-Kind Painting
- 68: Dr. Ken Graham: Two Decades of Strong Leadership
- 69: R-H’s History of Putting Safety First
- 70: Girls Basketball Team Becomes Stuff of Legends
-
Anniversary Posts 1-15
- Did You Know?
- Distinguished Alumni
- First Administrators
- Norm Miller: Portrait of a Rush-Henrietta Life Well Lived
- School Namesakes
- Superintendents
- Who Was Elmer Gordon?
-
75th Anniversary
- District Map
- District Mission, Vision, and Values
- District Overview
- District Policies
- District Priorities
- District Progress Update
- Job Opportunities
- Program and Service Reviews
- Staff Directory
- Street/School Directory
- Title I
- Town Resources
- COVID-19 Reopening Summary
Monroe Academy: Henrietta’s First Famous School
-
Long before the Rush-Henrietta Central School District existed, education was a top priority for many in our community. In 1826, early settlers raised enough money to build Monroe Academy, a three-story boarding and day school located on the northeast corner of East Henrietta and Lehigh Station roads. On this site now stands a Speedway gas station.
Orange Hedges, an early settler, donated the land for the building, and more than 60 residents raised $4,500 to fund its construction. In 1870, Monroe Academy became a public school; it’s third story was removed 16 years later. In 1926, it became Henrietta High School, one of many local school houses operating before the district was created in 1946. Six years later, in 1951, the Rush-Henrietta Central School opened. Our district’s first school for students in grades K-12, the building is known today as Roth Junior High School.
Our community has many intriguing connections to Monroe Academy. James Sperry, for whom the Rush-Henrietta Senior High School building is named, promoted the creation of the Monroe Academy. Antoinette Brown Blackwell, who became the nation’s first ordained woman minister in 1853, was educated at the Monroe Academy and became one of its teachers.
David B. Crane, namesake of Crane Elementary School, served as the first principal of Monroe Academy. According to the March 14, 1974, issue of The Henrietta Post, “Mr. Crane was asked to take four shares in the school and he also contributed a substantial sum toward the purchase of the bell.” Floyd Winslow, namesake of Winslow Elementary School, was a Monroe Academy student who later became its principal.
To the great dismay of the community, the Monroe Academy building burned to the ground in 1974. It lives on today in the memories of those who walked its halls, and through memorabilia that has been preserved throughout the year. For example, the Henrietta Town Historian’s office has the weathervane that stood atop the building, and the school district has the historic bell - now nearly 200 years old - that was used to welcome children to school there. That bell most recently has been used to celebrate the graduations of the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021.
[Post 1] #75posts75yearsClick the "i" in the upper left corner of the photos below for more information.
© Copyright 2021. All rights reserved.



