On January 30, 1947, the Honeoye Falls Times announced the appointment of leaders for the newly established Rush-Henrietta Central School District. The story's headline was: "Yackel Elected To Head Rush-Henrietta Central School; Parker, Vice-Principal ... Board of Education Decision Retains Well-Known Leaders." The following information is taken directly form the newspaper's account:
"The Board of Education for the new Rush-Henrietta Central School system, at a meeting held on Wednesday, January 15th, elected George C. Yackel, former principal of the Rush High School, as principal of the new school set-up, and John W. Parker, principal of the Henrietta High School for the past three years, as Vice-Principal. Both of these gentlemen have excellent records as educators, and have been in the Rush and Henrietta high schools, respectively, for 11 years.
Mr. Yackel, a native of Lyons, N. Y., is a graduate of Union College, '31, and received his Masters Degree from Alfred University in 1939. He has also done graduate work at the University of Syracuse and the University of Rochester during the summer sessions. Before coming to Rush Mr. Yackel taught at Phelps High School and was Vice-Principal at Pittsford High where he was an instructor in science and history and coach of athletics. He is married to the former Nelle Upchurch of Phelps, and they reside in the town of Rush.
At the present time Mr. Yackel is chairman of the Monroe County Principals' Organization, and was president of the Monroe County Teachers’ Association in 1946. He was also president of the Monroe County Athletic Association for 2 years, and is active in all civic affairs in his community.
John W. Parker was born in Rochester, and attended the Rochester elementary schools, graduating from Monroe High in 1929. He entered Union College in September, 1929, and was very active in sports, playing two years of football, 3 yrs. on the lacrosse team, managing the basketball squad, and winning his block U. He graduated from Union College with the Class of 1933.
Mr. Parker was engaged as a substitute teacher from 1933 to 1934 in the Rochester Schools, and later taught in the West Webster High School, where he was made Principal. Coming to Henrietta in 1936 he was made Principal of that educational institution three years ago. At the present time Mr. Parker is Vice-President of the Monroe County Teachers’ Association, and is continually working for the betterment of his school and community.
The citizens of Rush and Henrietta are to be congratulated on their choice of leaders for their newly adopted school program, and the past records of these young educators should mean much in bringing advancement and unity to the Rush-Henrietta districts in their future educational problems."
Rush-Henrietta archives tell us that Parker was married to Gladys Parker and retired from education in 1968. He traveled around the world, with his many stops including Germany, Poland, Portugal, Russia, and South America. He enjoyed bowling, gardening, and golfing.