Workforce Diversity Plan, 2018-2023
To increase the extent to which the faculty, staff and administration of the school district are representative of the student population with whom they work.
Major Focus Areas / Action Steps:
1. Question and expand recruitment practices in order to identify additional qualified applicants of color. (First step is to “expand the pool.”)
- Schedule recruitment visits outside the region and state (employer fairs, colleges).
- Pilot some non-traditional strategies for recruitment, selection process.
- Connect with the Teacher Opportunity Corps program (Nazareth, SUNY Oswego).
- Explore development of a “Grow Your Own” initiative at the Senior High School - Future Educators (Educators Rising), Pathways to Teaching, local college partnerships, etc.
2. Address implicit bias in the hiring process.
- Review and update our current recruitment, interviewing and hiring processes. Hire an HR consultant to assist with data collection and evaluation/audit of current practices*.
- Identify and address any biases or obstacles in the screening and interview processes.
- What implicit biases in the system can be addressed? What training is needed?
- Explore recruitment training opportunities for HR administrators, principals, etc.
3. Improve the working environment for teachers of color (retention).
- Surveys/Focus Groups: Utilize the Steering Committee’s diversity consultants.
- Examine collegial coaching, New Teacher Orientation, other programs for gaps - What specific steps can be taken to enhance these experiences, embed CRE training?
- What systems are in place to support employees of color throughout their career?
- What are other best practices for retention that need to be considered?
*Consultant Outreach/Interviews with teachers, other staff
4. Create and support cohorts of teachers, assistant principals and principals of color.
- Utilize experienced colleagues to form collegial circles - could this be an enhanced layer of mentoring? Consider multiple years?
- More financial support for coaching, PD
- How to implement without producing isolation or segregation/different treatment?
5. Invest in mentorship and career ladders for current and aspiring teacher leaders, as well as current and aspiring school and district leaders.