Driver and Traffic Safety Education
Driver and Traffic Safety Education (DTSE) is a joint partnership between the New York State Education Department and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The Driver Education course is intended to educate students on appropriate driving skills and habits as well as playing a responsible role in the highway transportation safety system.
- Minimum age of 16 years and enrolled in high school at the time of registration
- Hold a valid NYS Learner's Permit
- Attend state-mandated 24 hours of lecture and 24 hours of road classes
- Abide by Rush-Henrietta Code of Conduct
- Mandatory driving time with a parent or guardian outside of DTSE course time
- Obtain a minimum grade of 65 in both lecture and road classes
- All classes will based out of the Rush-Henrietta Senior High School
- $495 for Rush-Henrietta district residents* (*Possible additional costs; all fees must be paid prior to DMV-285 being issued.)
- Full payment with MasterCard or Visa is due with online registration.
- Scheduling priority is first-come, first served.
- Non-residents must provide a letter of recommendation from their school principal.
Successful Course Completion
- A DMV-285 will be mailed to parent/guardian, two to three weeks after successful course completion. With this certificate, a 17 year old driver is eligible to apply for a senior license.
- Receive a certificate for a possible reduction in automobile insurance cost. This is dependent upon insurance provider participation. Call your insurance agent for details.
- No high school credit is given for DTSE.
How to Register