Helping Your Child With Unknown Words
"HELP! I don't know how to read this WORD!"
Strategies to help your child read unknown words at home:
* Use the picture clues
* "Get your Mouth Ready" based on the first letter sound, give the sound
* Look for smaller words within the larger word (example: basketball has the words basket or ball)
* See if you can find a word family or pattern in the unknown word (example: mall, wall, ball, call, tall, stall, etc. are all part of the -all family)
* Cover the ending...does the word look familiar
* Skip the word and read on (remember to go back and make a prediction)
* Make a prediction (guess), ask yourself "Did it make sense?"
* Use the context of the story to make a prediction
* Try to sound out the word using knowledge of letter sounds