Strategic Questions to Ask Your Child
About the Book They are Reading
- What is your book about?
- Who are the main characters and why are they important to the story?
- What was the main idea of the chapter you just read?
- What do you think this book will be about?
- What do you think will happen next?
- How do you think the main character will change throughout this story?
- Explain what you saw in your mind when you were reading the last chapter.
- What do you think the character/setting looks like? Explain it to me.
- Do you think this book would make a good movie? Why or why not?
- What are some experiences that you and the main character have in common?
- How is this book like another book that you have read?
- What circumstances are taking place in this book that are similar to those happening in our world?
- What is a new word that you learned in the last chapter?
- How did you figure out the meaning of that unknown word?
- What other word does the new word look like? How did your knowledge of other words help you to figure out the definition?